It has been announced that Peter will once again play the Phantom for the 30th anniversary of Phantom of the Opera on Broadway. It is a great honour for Peter to be asked to recreate the role for an important landmark in the show’s history.
Peter will be playing a strictly limited season from Monday 15 January 2018 to Saturday 31 March 2018. The actual anniversary is 26 January but will be celebrated two days earlier on 24 January. More details of that special show will be forthcoming.
In February this year, Peter released Swedish language versions of “Phantom of the Opera” and “Music of the Night”, the former a duet with his Phantom co-star, Emmi Christensson. These are available on iTunes and Spotify-
The two songs are also available on an extended version of Peter’s “I Love Musicals – The Album”, again only available digitally.
There are currently no plans to release a full cast recording of the show, unfortunately.
A new Swedish production of The Phantom of the Opera opens at Cirkus in Stockholm on 14 September 2016, currently booking until 2 April 2017. Following Peter’s acclaimed stints as the Phantom in London’s West End and on Broadway, he once again dons the mask but this time, in his homeland and in the Swedish language.
Peter is joined by Emmi Christensson playing Christine and Anton Zetterholm as Raoul.
Emmi has more recently played Christine in the West End and attracted attention as the first blonde Christine. Anton has been successful in Germany, in particular playing the lead role in the musical version of Tarzan. He has also worked in the West End playing Enjolras in Les Miserables.
Official Phantom website (in Swedish)
Book tickets (in Swedish and in English)
A new Swedish arena tour for I Love Musicals has been announced for 2015. Helen Sjöholm will be Peter’s special guest and the tagline reads “Tillsammans igen” which translates to “Together again”. Helen, of course, is currently appearing opposite Peter in “Livet är en schlager and the two of them starred in “Kristina från Duvemåla” 20 years ago.
These are the dates and locations that have been announced so far.
- 26 Sep 2015 – Malmö Arena, Malmö
- 2 Oct 2015 – Helsingborg Arena, Helsingborg
- 3 Oct 2015 – Vida Arena, Växjö
- 9 Oct 2015 – ABB Arena, Västerås
- 10 Oct 2015 – Ericsson Globe, Stockholm
- 16 Oct 2015 – Göransson Arena, Sandviken
- 17 Oct 2015 – Scandinavium, Göteborg
Tickets go on sale on 27 February 2015 and can be purchased here.
More information can be found at the official site for I Love Musicals.
At the recent QX Gay Gala Awards, Peter was awarded Drag Artist of the Year, for his performance as Candy Darling in “Livet är en schlager”. “Livet är en schlager” also won the award for Show of the Year.
Peter gave an emotional acceptance speech where he paid tribute to his half brother Göran, who had passed away.
Peter also appeared on stage with John Glans to perform “Mil efter mil” from “Livet är en schlager”. Check out the video below.
The cast recording of “Livet år en schlager” featuring Peter Jöback and Helen Sjöholm on both CD and through the usual digital outlets.
The album debuted at number one on the official Swedish “collections” chart.
The track listing is as follows:
- Stjärnorna som tindra över Skarpnäck – Helen Sjöholm
- Samhallsvals – Katarina Ewerlöf
- Mil efter mil – Peter Jöback & Johan Glans
- Hur gör man drömmen sann – Helen Sjöholm, Peter Jöback & Johan Glans
- VIP – Oscar Pierrou Lindén
- Ingen är där – Peter Jöback
- Nu är det min tur – Frida Westerdahl
- Söta du – Måns Möller & Anette Belander
- Annars vore jag inte jag – Peter Jöback
- När jag faller – Peter Jöback & Helen Sjöholm
- Tre minuter – My Holmsten
- Om inte du – Helen Sjöholm
- Aldrig ska jag sluta älska dig – Helen Sjöholm
- Som skapta för varann – Helen Sjöholm & Peter Jöback
- Som en vindil (bonus track) – Peter Jöback
The last track is a bonus song that did not appear in the musical. Jonas Gardell has performed that song in his shows.
The original cast recording of “Livet är en schlager” will be released in Sweden on 28 January 2015. It has started to appear in online stores for pre-ordering.
The album will contain 15 tracks.